Garlic knot the GF way..

I'm not a food blogger.  I'm a food lover, a food blog lover, a blogger, but not a food blogger.  I don't create.  I create with guidance.  Well I do create but I don't blog about it.. Until today.


Today I had to share.  I was watching Rachael Ray on Thursday and thought holy crap I want that.  Like WANT that!  I wanted her Not your average garlic knot like you would not believe.  Few problems with that.  Gluten free pizza sucks.  Like seriously sucks.  If you've eaten gluten free pizza you will know that even if you make a good one it doesn't "chunk" you can't cut it. You spread it.  Always a good thing to note when you are making recipes up people.  Because otherwise you will throw it out if you are new - just sayin  So that was my first problem.  Second problem, well I don't have fresh rosemary in the house yet.  We haven't ever been able to overwinter it.  So if you know a way let me know.  Anyways I digress.  I wanted this garlic knot and didn't know how to make it work but I needed to make it work.  Lightbulb moment.. This very cool gluten free food blog that I read The Baking Beauties had an awesome Monkey Bread that I made for Christmas eve.  It was probably the most amazing monkey bread I've made with or without gluten.  Perfect.  And then I figured maybe I could do some switches and make myself some Gluten Free Garlic knot. 


So here it is,
Gluten Free Garlic Knot
adapted from The Baking Beauties "Ultimate Sticky Monkey Bread"
and inspired from Rachael Ray's "Not your average garlic knot"


Ingredients:
Dough:


2 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (Note)
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbsp rapid rise yeast
3 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1 tbsp italian spice mix
1 tsp baking powder


4 Tbsp Gluten free/dairy free/soy free buttery spread
1/2 cup boiling water
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp garlic olive oil


The garlic pizza dough part
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped


2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
Coarse ground sea salt
Black pepper


1 cup grated parmesan (for some reason this cheese doesn't kill me)


Tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought, for dipping




Directions:


1.In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix all dry ingredients until combined. Set aside.


2..Put boiling water and butter in a glass bowl, stir until melted.. Add milk, stir. Add other wet ingredients and whisk to combine.


3. With the stand mixer running, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Scrap down the bowl if you have to.   Mix for 2-3 minutes (until mixture is just a little thicker than the texture of muffin batter) 


4.  Using a small 1inch scoop, scoop balls of dough and place into large bowl. 


4 .In a small saucepan over low heat, saute the olive oil and garlic. Add your rosemary (or spice mix), pepper and salt. 


5.  Toss gently with balls of dough (remember this is gluten free dough so it doesn't always hold up supurbly)


6.  Add half your balls to a greased bundt cake pan, layer with cheese.  Pour half your sauteed garlic over dough.  Repeat.


7. Allow the dough to rise for 20-30 minutes in a warm, draft-free place. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35- 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then release from bundt cake. For a better texture (because again GF baking needs to cool to not taste weird and gummy) wait 10-15 minutes before serving.


Enjoy with your favorite marinara sauce. 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon